When you first get your 100% wood bombilla, there are some simple steps to follow to cure it. A natural wood bombilla really helps enhance the earthy taste of Yerba Mate. Bombillas are typically made from bamboo. Curing your bombilla is not required like with curing your new wooden gourd because bombillas are not as fragile and thin as new gourds are. However, curing your bombilla is an easy way to skip the “breaking in” phase of your new, natural product.
To Cure Your Bombilla:
- Locate a large cup or bowl capable of completely covering the bombilla
- Boil Water
- Pour hot water + Yerba Mate into large cup or bowl
- Submerge bombilla in large bowl or cup. Do your best to keep bombilla completely soaked. Cups or bowls with lids are perfect for keeping the bombilla submerged.
- Let bombilla soak in Yerba Mate for 24 hours.
- Dry off bombilla and let dry. (Near widow or any open air environment)
Curing your bombilla gives you that great wood-soaked yerba taste right away. Instead of waiting weeks or months for this process to happen from daily Mate use, you can get the same result through this technique. We hope this helps you!